Potato casserole – Patate al forno
A traditional Veneto region recipe that incorporates pancetta and fresh rosemary, finished in the oven for a golden and crispy casserole.
- cutting board
- Saute pan
- Baking pan
- 2 lb potatoes
- 2 onions medium
- 3 oz pancetta uncured, Italian style
- 2 rosemary sprigs, chopped
- 1/2 tbsp salt or to taste
- 1/2 tsp pepper or to taste
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter unsalted
- Gather your ingredients.
- In a large saucepan, boil the potatoes until they are almost fork tender, so they can hold their shape when cut; slice them into 1/2 inch rounds; set aside; preheat the oven at 375 degrees.2 lb potatoes
- While the potatoes cook, slice the onions very finely; mince the pancetta; chop the rosemary.2 onions, 3 oz pancetta, 2 rosemary, 2 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat a saute pan with the olive oil and saute the onions and the pancetta until translucent but not crispy.
- Drop in the potatoes and gently stir to combine, adding the chopped rosemary, salt and pepper.1/2 tbsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper, 2 rosemary
- Place everything in a lightly greased baking pan, top with the butter and bake until golden, about 15 minutes and then broil for 5 minutes keeping an eye on the top.2 tbsp butter
This potato dish is so rich and flavorful, it utilizes few ingredients to enhance it and give it a holiday feel. I utilized pancetta arrotolata, which is an uncured type of bacon, very available at grocery stores, and also very popular where I come from. In the making process of the pancetta, some pepper and herbs are used, to include rosemary and the use of rosemary in the dish, brings everything together in harmony. Make sure that you always taste the dish, every step of the way, to give it that perfect balance of salt, spice and herb. If you wish to skip the boiling of the potatoes, you could microwave them or bake them. I think that by boiling them, you will help them retain moisture and, in the end, they will cook more evenly.
Calories: 176kcal | Carbohydrates: 23g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 7mg | Sodium: 518mg | Potassium: 546mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 14IU | Vitamin C: 24mg | Calcium: 26mg | Iron: 1mg