Nonna’s stuffed meatloaf
Imagine a meatloaf wrapped in pancetta and when you slice it, it reveals a surprise filling of melted cheese, smoked ham and tender spinach: this is Nonna Bruna's twist on a classic Sunday recipe.
- cutting board
- mixing bowl
- rectangular baking pan baking sheet
- parchment paper
- Rolling Pin
- 2 lb ground beef
- 6 slices smoked ham sandwich cut
- 4 slices cheese I used havarti
- 16 oz frozen spinach thawed and squeezed water out
- 6 oz pancetta or bacon
- 2 eggs
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs I used panko
- 3 tbsp mustard Dijon
- 3 tbsp mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp coriander ground
- 2 tsp marjoran dried
- 2 sprigs sage fresh, leaves pulled and reserved for the garnish
- salt and pepper to taste
- Gather your ingredients.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees; remove the spinach from the package and squeeze to remove the water, divide into 2 batches; peel and chop the garlic.4 garlic cloves, 16 oz frozen spinach
- In a large bowl, add all the ingredients: beef, 1 batch of spinach, eggs, breadcrumbs, garlic, herbs, mustard, mayo, sauce, salt and pepper; with clean hands, or gloved hands, start incorporating all the ingredients until well blended.2 lb ground beef, 16 oz frozen spinach, 2 eggs, 1/2 cup breadcrumbs, 3 tbsp mustard, 3 tbsp mayonnaise, 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce, 2 tsp coriander, 2 tsp marjoran, salt and pepper to taste
- Cut 2 large pieces of parchment paper; rest the meat mixture on top of one piece and cover it with the other; use a rolling pin to stretch the meat mixture to obtain a rectangle.
- Remove the top piece of parchment and add the filling in this order: ham, cheese and spinach; sprinkle the spinach with salt and pepper.6 slices smoked ham, 4 slices cheese
- Recompose the meat mixture and form the loaf, ensuring that the filling stays in the center ; season with salt and pepper and wrap the loaf with the pancetta or bacon; place the sage leaves on top of the loaf.6 oz pancetta, 2 sprigs sage
- Using the bottom sheet of parchment, gently place the loaf into the baking pan and place on the oven; bake the loaf, uncovered for about 60 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 145 degrees; remove from the oven; rest the loaf for at least 10-15 minutes and then slice to reveal the surprise filling.
This meatloaf recipe feeds several people and it’s the perfect meal for any Sunday. It’s very easy to make and can be customized with your favorite ingredients. It’s a creative meat recipe that will surprise everyone at the table!
Calories: 555kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 33g | Fat: 42g | Saturated Fat: 15g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 5g | Monounsaturated Fat: 17g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 159mg | Sodium: 757mg | Potassium: 682mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 6867IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 229mg | Iron: 5mg